Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Yo, Castro!

Do you think Bush has a pet nickname for Fidel Castro like he does for all of the other world leaders? I'll bet he calls him "Fido." Anyway, I'm not sure I understand all of the celebrating being done by Cuban-Americans at the news of Castro's illness. Are they expecting major changes should Castro die? I'm assuming that there are a number of people in the Cuban government that have a vested interest in keeping things just the way they are. I don't believe that the whole government is hanging on the health of one man.

Still, if democracy were to break out in Cuba, that would be great. The Cuban people would finally taste liberty. Plus, we would get the chance to see if any significant percentage of the Cuban-American community decides to move back home. It's been an awful long time since most of them have lived in Cuba. After becoming accustomed to living in the US, moving back would probably be difficult. However, if some do decide to go, I hope that they take Gloria Estefan and Andy Garcia along. Maybe they could go visit Elian Gonzalez.

No comments: