Friday, October 13, 2006

Turn, Turn, Turn . . .

The leaves are turning colors, the temperatures are turning colder, and the cranks are turning less frequently. Our part of Illinois had its earliest measurable snowfall just recently. It's cold. It's windy. It's darned hard to get on the bike. Sure, I know lots of year-round cyclists. If you dress for the weather, it's no problem to get around by bike. However, for me, motivation is the problem.

When you've been riding regularly, it's easy to keep in the habit. Just add clothes as the weather changes. The problem is that I haven't been riding regularly. It's not just because I run my own business. I ran my own business before and still snuck in some time for riding. Now, however, I have two kids, Mary (age 3) and Jack (age 1). Of course, they are the two smartest and best-looking kids on the planet, but they are a lot of work, too. When they go to bed, I'm ready to go to bed. When I wake up, they wake up.

So, as winter heads our way, my bike is looking lonelier and lonelier. The computer is looking cozier and cozier. Kids, work, weather, fatigue. They are all just excuses, but sometimes they make a convincing argument. Here's hoping you can get out and ride some yourself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear you. I have three kids 8, 5, and 3. I can barely get any rides in during the Summer.

Hopefully, your love for cycling will rub off on them. I a dreaming of the day when my kids are old enough to go for long rides with me (if I can keep up that is)