Thursday, September 28, 2006

My Child Seat Rant

I'll get back to bikes soon. I promise.

My daughter now goes to pre-school. I drop her off in the morning and pick her up in the afternoon. I sometimes do this by bicycle with a Burley trailer, but it's usually by car. In the school parking lot, I've noticed that many other parents do not secure their children in a child seat while in the car. Additionally, many have their kids sit in the front seat of an airbag-equipped car. In Illinois, both of these things are a no-no for children this age.

I don't get it. These parents apparently care enough about their children to pay for pre-school but not enough to take some very simple steps to protect their lives. On some mornings, it appears that at least half of the parents haven't secured their children properly. Why do so many parents fail to take these precautions? Can someone explain it to me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That many? Wow. I see one or two occasionally and I don't get it either. If it's a regular thing, I'd make an anonymous suggestion to the local constabulary that they might do some kids some good by showing up to chat with their parents.

-- Andy in Santa Cruz, CA